Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Bike Crash and recuperation

okay, I guess I should explain what happened. I had a very serious bike crash this past Saturday. We were scheduled to do a 70 mile ride and a 45 minute run. The route was a 43 mile loop of the manor/elgin backroads aka "The Rosedale Ride", and then a 28 mile loop. I started an hour early as I knew it was going to be a loooong ride. First of all, it is verrry windy out there on that particular route. I did the 72 mile Rosedale Ride a few years ago, and I have to say it was one of the most miserable rides of my life. So, I was prepared for it to take a while. Plus there was rain in the forecast. Several of us started together at 7am. The group was a group that I usually ride with, but a certain someone decided to drop the bomb and go all out at the beginning and thus the pack followed and I fell behind. Actually two of us fell behind. I ended up riding with a nice girl named Diana, who I hadn't met before. She had a road bike vs. a tri-bike and I could see she was having to work harder on the hills. Anyways, it was nice to have her to ride with. When we finished the 43 mile loop the rest of the pack had all put up their bikes and were about to start their run. They all wimped out and decided not to do the 28 mile loop. Granted it had rained a teeny bit, but the wind hadn't even picked up at that point. Diana didn't want to do the second loop so I left to do it on my own. As I was heading out on the second loop, that's when the wind decided to pick up. I passed all the T3'ers who were coming in from their first loop (they had started later than us), and eventually I was back out in the middle of nowhere by myself. The roads were in extremely bad condition. It was dry at this point and I was on a road called Melber, and was going really fast on a downhill when I hit this earthquake like crack in the road. I lost control of the bike, and had a major crash smack in the middle of the road.
I don't remember a car coming, however, when I came to my senses a couple had rushed out of their car to help me. Everything was blurry and I was crying. It's almost as if I was watching someone else. I don't know why I was crying, it's hard to explain, but it felt like someone else just took possession of my body and I was just shoved to the side. Anyways, they called an ambulance, and it took them several minutes to get out there, as it was literally in the middle of nowhere. The nice couple took my bike for me, and gave me their number to call and pick it up. I ended up having another T3'er who lives out there pick it up for me. So, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet and see the damage, although Chrissie says it doesn't look bad. I'm going to have to take it in the bike shop and get it looked over. Obviously, I got the brunt of the damage.
Apparently, when my friend went to pick up the bike, they got angry at him because I was riding alone. Even when I'm riding with the group, I always end up by myself for a great portion of the bike. No one rides at the same speed as me, and I'm inbetween groups. I'm faster than the slower folks, but slower than the faster folks. Maurice actually scolded me for riding by myself. Hello!!!! I'm going to be by myself during the ironman anyways. I can't help it if everyone else is either too fast or too slow for me, or if they wimp out and decide not to do the ride. I really wanted to do the ride, as I had not done my 60 miler the weekend before, so I really felt that I needed to get the miles in. I took Monday off, worked from home Tuesday , and went back into the office today. God, I hate how people stare at me. My face is still black and blue and swollen, and I just know that everyone is thinking that some boyfriend beat the shit out of me. It's funny, some people will come outright and ask what happened whereas others won't because they feel they are prying if they do, or are afraid of what the answer will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment