Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Score: Redneck Trucker 1, Laurie's dream of completing Ironman Hawaii -1

Well, as I say, it's not IF you get in a wreck, it's WHEN you get in a wreck..... I have now had my second serious bike wreck, thanks to an impatient redneck in his pickup truck.
I was previewing the Red Licorice Events Ring of Fire 65 mile bike course with some RLE team mates starting in Luckenbach. We were on about mile 15 on a two lane highway when a very big tractor was coming towards us on the other side of the road as he should be when suddenly I heard shouting. I couldn't figure out why they would be shouting about a slow moving tractor on the other side of the road until I saw what they were shouting about. A big black pickup truck was heading straight at us going the wrong way at least 90 mph trying to pass the tractor. We had nowhere to go, as there was no shoulder on this road and everyone was hitting their brakes and I was trying not to crash into my team mates when I lost control and totally bit it in the middle of the road. Apparently the truck driver swerved, narrowly missing us and just kept on going. I was very lucky. I was lying there on my back in the middle of the road afraid to move, when my team mates came and got me and gingerly moved me to the side of the road while they called 911. I was bleeding from the back of my head and was extremely dizzy. The tractor stopped and several other good citizens stopped to offer help, and unfortunately it took over 30 minutes for the Fredericksburg EMT's to get to me. It's a good thing I only had a minor concussion, as I probably would have died out there had it been more serious. Both Frederickburg and Stonewall sent an EMT and fire truck, however, the city of Blanco which was only 10 miles away would not send anyone! Luckily, the hospital did a cat scan and found no damage to my head other than the four staples that had to be put in to stop the bleeding. I'm still recovering and still feeling woozy, and I do have a bone chip floating from my ankle, so my doctor has told me not to run for 2 to 6 weeks. I'm hoping that the ankle will heal quickly, as I'm not giving up on my dream to do the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii. Hopefully this will be a small set back, albeit a very expensive setback. Luckily, I do have my cobra insurance, however, I'm still going to have to pay several hundred out of my pocket to cover the hospital bills and bike repair bills. I'm just happy to be alive and to not have any serious broken bones. I often forget just how dangerous of a sport I have taken up. I want to thank all of my friends for their support and good thoughts! I get my staples out next Monday and will start up my cycling and swimming again then. Looks like I'm going to end up walking the marathon of ironman, but hey... it's not the first time, I've had to walk a marathon... and I am only getting one chance to do Ironman Hawaii.... Perhaps I'll be the lucky last finisher to cross that line at midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment